COVE Burgh Hall is run by the community, for the community and is very much a social centre for the people of Cove and Kilcreggan. The Hall is owned by “Cove Burgh Hall”, a charitable company set up by the community in 2001 to buy the Hall from Argyll and Bute Council. The company’s objectives for the Hall are to: make it the vibrant, focal hub “soul” of the communities of Cove, Kilcreggan and the wider Rosneath Peninsula in terms of adding distinct value to the everyday social and cultural lives and wellbeing of local residents; to contribute important social, cultural and recreational value to the lives of local people, inclusive of all social groups, within a well maintained, quality physical infrastructure; to ensure that the range of activities hosted within the Hall are as socially and financially inclusive as possible; to manage and operate the Hall as a charity recognising the need to be financially sustainable while giving priority to social objectives over commercial; to provide a venue to allow the effective interface of local organisations and national public agencies with the community; and to act as custodian responsible for the conservation and improvement of the physical structure of the building to ensure a safe, welcoming and warm quality venue for the range of Hall activities. The Hall was the brainchild of Charles Cayzer, owner of the Clan shipping line who had a summer residence in Cove, and who, as Provost, initiated its building in 1891. It was designed by Glasgow architect James Chalmers and was opened to the public as the “village” hall in 1893. By 1999 however it’s condition had deteriorated quite badly and Argyll & Bute Council advised the community it would have to be closed because of the high maintenance and running costs and low usage by the community. The community came together to stop the closure however and formed a charitable company “Cove Burgh Hall” that then bought the Hall from the council in 2001 for the princely sum of £1. As a community asset, the Hall has grown from strength to strength. As at 2014, some £180,000 had been spent on upgrading facilities (50% from fundraising efforts and 50% from grants) and the Hall is now a warm, clean and welcoming facility. It is extensively used by the local community and continues to host numerous fundraising activities. Extensive renovation works have already been undertaken but this year the Burgh Hall group plans to have the outside walls repointed to prevent water ingress and to begin fund raising for a new major project bringing the hall into the 21st century by making the whole building fit for use for everyone with the installation of a lift to the upper floor where the community runs its own public library. The Cove Burgh Hall company is run entirely by unpaid volunteers.