The Argyll Mausoleum is one of Scotland’s undiscovered historical jewels within the Cowal Community. It stands connected to, but separate from, the church in Kilmun, Argyll and is the burial place for the Dukes and Earls of Argyll, Chiefs of the Clan Campbell. The building had its last major renovation around 1890 and was in urgent need of restoration and repair. Argyll Mausoleum Limited was formed as a charitable company limited by guarantee to carry out the task. The main aims were to restore and conserve the building and artefacts and to open it to the public in a fitting and sensitive manner. The adjacent hillside has been occupied for thousands of years, and in the 7th century Celtic holy men, established small church. From the first Campbell burials in the 15th century, the tradition continued that most of the Dukes of Argyll and their families were buried beneath the aisles of the medieval Kilmun church. In 1660, a separate private chapel attached to the church was built for the Argyll tombs. In 1794, a separate Mausoleum being formed in its place, with some of the more important remains being moved into the new burial place. These included the 15th century effigies of Sir Duncan Campbell and his wife Marjory (great, great grand-daughter of Robert the Bruce). The present church dates from 1841, and 1890, the Mausoleum was renovated by the Marquis of Lorne, subsequently the ninth Duke of Argyll. The original slated roof was replaced by an unusual cast iron dome. The ninth Duke married Princess Louise, fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. When the 8th Duke died in 1900, she made a sculpture in his memory. This, along with other interesting items, is part of the collection of artefacts that were found inside the Mausoleum. Associated with the history of Scotland for thousands of years, and with graves of many distinguished people, including Elizabeth Blackwell, (the first lady doctor) the site itself is important. There is more; the site is surrounded with local history which includes a gunpowder factory, Maritime Quarantine Station, some very interesting residents, yacht building and Royal and US Navy activity. By September 2012, a full funding package was committed amounting to over £1.0M. With this funding, main contractors and a professional interpretation consultant were appointed. Work commenced in June 2013. The visitor centre opened in Spring 2014 and the Mausoleum at the end of the year. During this period efforts by our team of volunteers to welcome visitors continued. The physical work, including the conservation of artefacts, is now complete with only the final documentation remains to be completed. Archaeological studies, historical research, and involvement of the community has been a major part of the project, and the extensive history of the site and locality has been revealed. Historic Kilmun is now moving towards welcoming an increasing number of visitors, further community involvement and ensuring a sustainable financial future enabling as wide as possible an audience able to enjoy the wonderful facilities.